Friday, February 5, 2010

In the beginning

My journey began with the birth of my first child.  I took a childbirth class at the local YMCA.  It was a huge room filled with pregnant women and their partners.  There must have been 40 couples.  Needless to say, I was NOT prepared for the event I was about to experience and remember for the rest of my life.  After an epidural, artificial rupture of my membranes, my daughter was YANKED out of me with forceps while a nurse stood beside me on a stool pushing on the upper portion of my uterus (fundus).  And, of course, this delivery was complete with a 4th degree episiotomy!  My husband was so worried as he watched the veins in the doctor's neck bulging that our daughter would be damaged forever.  Thankfully she was fine. All 8lbs. 8oz. of her.  I, on the other hand, was not.  It took many months for my body to heal from that episiotomy.  I vowed never to have a baby that way ever again...

Kathy Voigtsberger
Certified Birth Doula(DONA)
Childbirth Educator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.